arrow_back Return

Song Lyrics Lag Issue on Presentation Screen

September 8, 2023
If I set my main audience out display screen resolution higher than 1280x720 I get lag when switching between song lyrics if I'm using a font greater than size 62. If I keep my audience screen set on 1280x720 I can run larger font sizes like 90+ and everything runs smooth. Graphic (picture slides) are fine its just a song lyric issue.

I run a MacBook Air with a sceptre Z27 4k 27 inch monitor.

I'm test running this software and haven't tried it with our church projectors yet. Just wondering why I would get song lyric lag using higher resolutions than 1280x720. I also have tried this on my Mac Studio with with same monitor and the same thing happens. Monitor refresh rates of 60 and 70 hz. Refresh rates don't seem to matter. I've ran at 60 and 70 hz and the same thing happens. The only fix seems to be to cut monitor resolution down to 1280x720 then everything works fast and lag free.

Any suggestions or comments as to why this is happening?

Video backgrounds and pictures run smooth and fast its just the song lyrics.
Posted by Greg
September 8, 2023
Additional info (I couldn't figure out how to edit my previous post): If I use song font sizes (type of font doesn't matter) of 62 or smaller then I don't get any lag regardless of the screen resolution I use for the main audience out display screen. I can run max 4k resolution and changes between song lyric slides are buttery smooth. The small preview window (lower left of screen) always shows smooth transitions its just the main display that lags. I use extended screen settings. MacBook Air is the control panel (left side) and the 4k septre z27 monitor is the display screen (right side).
Posted by Greg
September 8, 2023
Hi Greg- This is most likely because the macbook air can't keep up with the high resolution animation (4k). Most projectors are not 4k, so you shouldn't have this issue when you connect at church.

If you believe this is something your computer can handle, try turning off GPU Hardware Acceleration in the settings and see if you see a different result.
Posted by Adam
September 8, 2023
Thanks Adam. I won’t be home until Sunday. I will try to turn off hardware acceleration and see if that fixes the issue. I thought hardware acceleration made it work faster so I didn’t try it with it off. My MacBook Air has 16gb ram and an M1 chip. It plays 4K video off YouTube without issues so I don’t think it is a cpu or GPU processing speed problem. I’ll keep you posted. Since we do use lower resolution on our projectors it shouldn’t be an issue but we may go to 4K TVs eventually. I am liking the software. It is reasonably priced and I really like that it runs on Linux. Most companies don’t write their software for Linux. I hope it works out for us. The user interface seems pretty good. If it could export the live feed as NDI that would be nice. That would allow us to kick it over to our OBS computer more easily. We also may look at running NDI feed to our projectors and / or TVs in the future. Thanks for your suggestion about the graphics I will post later to let you know if it worked.
Posted by Greg
September 15, 2023
I turned off GPU hardware acceleration and it fixed the issue of song lyric lag while using fonts bigger than 62. I was also able to use screen resolutions larger than 1280x720. So looks like GPU hardware acceleration was the issue. Easy fix. Hope this helps anyone else having the same issue. Thanks for the reply.
Posted by Greg
Login to post a comment